Understanding the requirements for building an Amazon pallet and packing products for shipping can help you as a business owner to save time and money while ensuring your products arrive at their destination. Amazon pallet shipments are an economical way to deliver your products safely and securely.
This guide provides a comprehensive overview of Amazon pallet specifications, the advantages of using them, the standards for building an Amazon pallet, and instructions on how to package products for shipment properly.
With this guide, businesses can better know how to ship their products using Amazon pallets.
What are Amazon Pallets?
Amazon pallets are units used to support and move products during shipping. They are typically made of plastics, wood, or metal materials and come in different sizes and shapes.
Amazon pallets must acquire the specific size and weight requirements set forth by the company and adhere to strict construction guidelines for durability and stability.
Origin of Amazon Pallet
Amazon pallets originated as part of the company’s fulfillment process in the late 1990s. They have since become efficient and cost-effective for businesses to ship products worldwide.
Today, Amazon continues to refine its specifications for amazon pallet shipments, making them one of the most reliable shipping methods available.
Advantages of Shipping with Amazon Pallets for the Amazon Sellers
Shipping with Amazon pallets offers many advantages, including:
- Amazon pallets are made from sturdy materials that can withstand rough handling during FBA shipment. It helps to ensure that products remain safe and undamaged during transit.
- Amazon pallets can handle large amounts of weight without compromising stability, making them suitable for shipping heavier items.
- Amazon pallets are compatible with most amazon warehouse systems, so businesses can quickly move products from the warehouse to the delivery truck.
Standards for Building an Amazon Pallet
Amazon pallet requirements for inbound shipment can be quite strict when it comes to receiving items. When building an Amazon pallet, there are a few critical standards that you must keep in mind:
- Palletized freight size should not exceed 48″ x 40″ and no higher than 72″, have proper labeling and be ISPM-15 approved, and must withstand a minimum weight capacity of 1,500 lbs for the U.S. sellers, while for the U.K. sellers, pallets cannot exceed 500 kg (or 1,000 kg if double-stacked) and single pallets cannot be higher than 180 cm. Amazon FBA Sellers should also keep in mind that there is a limit to the number of pallets that can be shipped at one time, so they should plan accordingly.
- All freight must be secured to a pallet using a clear plastic stretch wrap.
- The materials used should be strong enough to last multiple uses without weakening or compromising the overall integrity of the pallet.
- Pallets must have a four-way entry that allows easy loading and unloading of products from the pallet. Any forklift can move items on or off the pallet from any direction, including front, rear, left and right. It eliminates manual labor and makes moving products quickly in the amazon warehouse environment easier.
Related Source: Amazon Pallet Requirements
Pallet shipping labels and Pallet Requirements
For Amazon to accept your shipments, you need to meet the required labels. The pallet shipping labels include information about the shipment, such as its origin and destination, and contact information for both parties. When building an Amazon pallet, sellers must include a unique shipping label outside. Here are the pallets labels requirements for U.S. Sellers:
- Must be attached the FBA pallet label to all four sides of the pallet on the stretch wrap in the top center.
- Create and print I.D. labels during the shipment creation workflow since FBA box I.D. labels should be attached to each box on the pallet.
- The labels should be square and not at an angle.
- Pallets that contain one ASIN should be labeled: “Single ASIN Pallet.”
Pallets labels requirements for U.K. Sellers:
- Include in each label of the pallets the vendor name, a To and From address, Phone numbers, the number of cartons, and pallet # X of X in the upper right corner.
- Each box of the pallet requires a label.
- Make sure the labels are visible when unpacking the pallet.
- Pallets that contain mixed but visually similar items must include “Mixed Merchandise” on the label.
The label of every pallet should also include any special instructions regarding the handling or delivery of the shipment. It includes adhering to minimum size and weight requirements, using the four-way entry, and securing items to the pallet with plastic stretch wrap or strapping tape.
Amazon Seller Central for Amazon Pallets Requirements
For a better understanding of Amazon pallets, the business owner can use Amazon Seller Central to access more detailed information.
It includes instructions for building a pallet, packaging guidelines and specifications for labeling items, and safety tips on how to package products for shipment securely.
GMA grade for Amazon Pallet
Pallets that are not brand new are subject to classification according to GMA pallet grading standards. GMA is the acronym for the Grocery Manufacturers Association who creates the regulations for pallets. Pallets regulated by the GMA are classified by different grades which are Grade A and Grade B. Amazon requires GMA Standard B Grade pallets which are the lowest category of GMA pallets.
Standard B Grade Pallets are identified by the presence of two or more repairs in each forklift cavity. Standard B Grade Pallets are also identified as #2 High Grade. Some other characteristics that the Standard B Grade pallet have are:
- On the top deck, there are six to seven boards. The number of boards on the top deck is based on the thickness of the boards, which ranges from 3.5 to 5.5 inches.
- Top deck boards are typically spaced 2.5 to 3.5 inches apart.
- Four or more boards on the bottom deck
- Three stringers connect the top and bottom decks.
- The stringers have been repaired.
Pallets for Shipping Groceries
If your Amazon shipment includes grocery items, you can only use GMA 1A Grade Pallets. These pallets are typically used for shipping grocery items to stores and assisting in the display of food for customers.
Pallets of GMA 1A Grade, also referred as Premium Grade A, are of the highest quality. Other characteristics of these pallets include:
- There are seven top deck boards. Top deck boards are typically spaced 2.5 to 3.5 inches apart.
- There are five bottom deck boards.
- Between the top and bottom decks, there are three stringers. Stringer repairs are not permitted on the blocks.
- Four-way entry
Packaging Products for Shipment on Amazon FBA
When packing pallets for Amazon FBA, sellers should take the following precautions:
- Make sure the height requirements are met.
- Don’t bundle boxes using bags, straps, or elastic to ensure none of the boxes hang over the pallet edge.
- Use stackable pallets and make sure they have flat tops.
- Securely package each item in bubble wrap or other protective material.
- Lastly, cover with a final layer of protective material before shipping.
In addition to preparing products for amazon shipment labels, businesses should also ensure that the pallet material is labeled with the correct information. Proper labeling helps ensure that shipments are delivered without delays or problems.
Double Stacked pallets
For those business owners who ship heavier items, double-stacked pallets can be an efficient way to maximize space. To build a double-stacked pallet correctly, the sellers should make sure the bottom layer of products is securely attached to the base of the pallet, the top layer is secured with additional shrink wrap or strapping tape, and the total weight of the pallet should not exceed the maximum weight capacity set by Amazon.
Inbound shipments for Amazon’s pallets
When shipping products to Amazon, business owners should ensure that they meet the appropriate requirements for the amazon pallets. This includes using a four-way entry pallet and securing the items with shrink wrap or strapping tape. All amazon shipments must include a unique shipping label with contact information for both parties and any special instructions regarding the handling or delivery of the shipment.
Amazon Fulfillment Centers for Amazon Pallet requirements
When shipping to an Amazon Fulfillment Center, sellers must meet the specific requirements set by the company.
This includes ensuring that pallets have the correct labeling, weight limits are followed, and packaging is secure. Before sending a shipment, sellers should check with an Amazon representative to make sure they are following all the requirements.
FBA Shipment ID for Amazon pallet requirements
When shipping to an Amazon Fulfillment Center, the sellers must include a unique shipment I.D. outside the pallet.
This helps ensure that shipments can be identified and tracked easily by Amazon representatives. Sellers can generate a shipment I.D. through their system or Amazon’s Seller Central portal.
International plant protection convention (IPPC) Amazon pallets
It is an international agreement that sets standards for the movement of plants and plant products worldwide.
When shipping amazon pallets, the sellers must ensure that they meet any IPPC requirements to avoid delays or problems with their shipment. An Amazon representative can help guide businesses through the process.
Non-compliant pallet requirements
When amazon pallets do not meet the requirements, they may be deemed non-compliant and rejected. If a shipment is rejected due to non-compliance, the sellers should contact an Amazon representative for guidance on how to fix any issues and resubmit their shipment.
Here are the common reasons why your delivery can be rejected:
- The pallet size and weight not meeting amazon specifications.
- Incorrect labeling of the amazon pallet or lack of requirements.
- Loads that are overloaded, unstable, or unsecured with strapping tape.
- Items wrapped in non-standard material such as cardboard boxes.
Benefits of Understanding Amazon Pallet Requirements
Understanding the requirements for building and shipping with Amazon pallets can help sellers save time and money while ensuring that their products arrive safely at their destination.
Proper packaging and labeling will ensure the smooth delivery of products and reduce the risk of damage or loss during shipment. By following this guide, amazon sellers can better understand how to properly use Amazon pallets and ensure the products arrive in good condition.
By taking the time to understand Amazon pallet requirements, businesses can enjoy a cost-efficient and safe shipping solution for their products. With this guide, amazon sellers can be better informed on the proper shipping method with Amazon pallets and reduce the risk of errors or delays during shipment.
How do I ship a pallet to Amazon FBA?
Sellers must meet Amazon’s requirements for shipping pallets to their Fulfillment Centers. Businesses must obtain a pickup request from Amazon and provide the basic information regarding the size and weight of items, as well as labeling instructions. Once this is done, sellers can contact a carrier to arrange pickup and shipment of the pallet.
When using an amazon partnered carrier for shipping amazon pallets, sellers must meet the minimum shipment requirements set forth by amazon. Amazon-partnered carriers must also meet amazon’s quality and safety standards for shipping amazon pallets.
LTL Shipping with Amazon Pallets
Businesses that need to ship many pallets can opt for LTL (Less-Than-Truckload) shipping. This LTL shipment allows sellers to share a truckload with other business owners to save money on shipping costs.
Every seller should ensure that they understand these shipping requirements with Amazon pallets and plan accordingly before shipping.
Amazon LTL (Less Than Truckload) shipping provides businesses with an efficient and cost-effective way to ship large quantities of pallets across the United States. With Amazon LTL, businesses can share a truckload with others, saving time and money on their deliveries.
When shipping via Amazon LTL, businesses should keep the following in mind:
- Make sure all pallets are appropriately labeled with the correct information.
- Make sure that the size and weight of each pallet meet Amazon’s requirements.
- Schedule a pickup time with the carrier and be available to load the pallets onto the delivery truck.
Benefits of LTL Shipping with Amazon Pallets
LTL shipping offers several benefits for all sellers shipping with Amazon pallets. It allows them to save on shipping costs since they only need to pay for the space their product takes up in the delivery truck.
Additionally, it reduces transit times since trucks don’t need to make multiple stops, and it can also help protect products from damage since all the items are shipped on one truck together.
When using LTL Shipping with amazon pallets, sellers should keep in mind these requirements:
- Must provide a list of items to be shipped, including their dimensions, weight, and volume.
- The label should include the amazon shipment I.D. and contact information for both parties involved in the transaction.
- All the pallets should be securely packaged and labeled with amazon’s requirements.
- The sellers must provide a convenient pickup time and location for the carrier to pick up the delivery.
- Ensure that all amazon pallets are appropriately secured and meet amazon’s standards and requirements.
Carrier Requirements For LTL Deliveries
When shipping amazon pallets with an amazon partnered carrier for LTL deliveries, sellers must meet the minimum requirements set by amazon.
Amazon-partnered carriers must adhere to amazon’s quality and safety standards and any other amazon requirements.
This includes having proper liability insurance coverage, providing proof of delivery, and meeting amazon’s timeline requirements for the shipment.
When Is LTL Shipping Appropriate?
LTL shipping is best for business owners that need to ship many pallets at once, such as those with multiple locations or a large inventory. It is also an ideal solution for them to ship the items quickly since trucks don’t need to make multiple stops.
What is the rate for LTL shipping?
The rate for LTL shipments varies based on the weight and size of the items being shipped, as well as the distance between the sellers and the buyers. Sellers should contact their carriers to get an accurate rate.
When you use the LTL delivery option to get your products delivered to the Amazon center, here are the guidelines that are quite similar.
All pallets shipped non-small items should be 1,200 mm x 1,000 mm (47 inches x 39 inches) in size. If the sizes are different from the above mentioned, it is instantly rejected and will be returned at the seller’s expense.
Here are some of the requirements that need to be met include the following:
- Pallets should not contain more than 5,000 boxes.
- Pallets require a label with the seller’s and buyer’s information, including the address, phone numbers, and also the number of boxes, the pallet # X of X in the upper right corner.
- Pallets that contain mixed but visually the same items must include “Mixed Merchandise” on the label.
- Wrapped all the pallets in stretch plastic since damaged pallets will not be accepted.
- Single-stacked pallets cannot exceed 1.5 m high.
- Don’t hang over the sides of the pallets of the products.
Related source: Amazon Pallet Requirements: Important Information
Scheduling Advanced Appointments For Delivery
Sellers can arrange for advanced appointments for delivery if they need their shipment to arrive at a specific time. It can help them ensure that the amazon pallet arrives on time and is handled appropriately by amazon personnel. Amazon also offers Advanced Appointments, which allow businesses to request an appointment up to two days in advance.
To schedule a delivery appointment, follow the steps enumerated below:
- Log in to Carrier Central to contact amazon to request a delivery appointment.
- Provide amazon with the necessary information, such as the number of pallets being shipped, the weight and size of each one, and any special instructions that may be required for delivery.
- Once amazon has received the information, they will assign a pickup time and provide a tracking number so that amazon and the sellers can monitor the shipment.
Shipping with Amazon pallets is a cost-effective and safe option for amazon sellers. By understanding the specific requirements for building an amazon pallet and correctly packaging products for shipment, businesses can ensure their products are shipped safely and cost-effectively.
LTL shipping provides businesses with an efficient way to transport large quantities of pallets across the United States while reducing transit times and protecting products from damage. With this guide, amazon sellers can be better informed on the proper shipping methods with Amazon pallets and reduce the risk of errors or delays during shipment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are amazon pallets?
A: Amazon pallets are made of wood, plastic, or metal materials and have specific requirements for size, weight, construction, and packaging. They are compatible with most warehouse systems and offer business owners a cost-effective way to ship their products safely.
Q: How should I package products for shipment on amazon pallets?
A: Businesses should securely package their products in bubble wrap or other protective materials and place them on the pallet before securing them with shrink wrap or strapping tape. Additional layers of items can also be added as needed, and all items should be securely attached to the pallet before shipping.
Q: What is an amazon LTL shipment?
A: Amazon Less Than Truckload shipping provides sellers with an efficient and cost-effective way to ship large quantities of pallets across the United States. With this type of shipment, sellers can share a truckload with others to save money on shipping costs.
Q: What if the pallet is damaged? Is it still accepted?
A: Damaged or broken pallets will not be accepted by Amazon, which means that your delivery may be refused. They cannot provide a pallet or wrapping materials for goods going to Amazon fulfillment centers. It must be palletized by the sender as per Amazon’s Terms and Conditions
Q: How do I schedule an LTL delivery to amazon?
A: For the pickup and delivery of the pallet, sellers must contact their carrier. The carrier will provide a date and time with an estimated pickup schedule and a tracking number so that they can monitor the shipment’s progress. The rate for LTL shipments varies based on the weight and size of shipped items, as well as the distance between the origin and destination.