Much like humans, machines are also bound to fail. Yes, some brands are known to last nearly forever if maintained properly, but maintenance still needs parts to be done. Not to mention that there’s a vast market of people who seek to simply modify their vehicles just because they can.
Because of the non-stop production of cars and motorcycles worldwide, the demand for parts will always stick around. If you’re an automotive enthusiast who seeks a job in the automotive industry, selling auto parts can be a good starting point, and car parts sell simply well.
With the rapidly growing technology connecting everyone on every corner of the globe, the best time to kick start your business is now. The following are the steps you can take to do so.
Get to Know What to Sell
Knowing what to sell is vital in any kind of business. If you are selling auto parts, it is essential to know which auto parts people want so that you can give them what they need. Look into part trends and research which ones are in high demand. Usually, the ones that have high demand originate from car enthusiasts who are passionate about cars.
Or, if you happen to have access to supplies of auto parts that are not necessarily the most popular but still have demands, you can utilize that. The market for this kind of part is general vehicle owners. Even if they are niche parts, you can still market them and sell them for good fortune.
The Parts Category
There are a lot of auto part categories. Dividing them into external and internal parts simply won’t suffice, as it’s not that simple. That said, the options of what to sell are vast (and expanding as manufacturers release more models in the future).
Own A Store With A Wide Selection
Owning an auto part store with a wide selection is convenient for customers, but it can become overwhelming and challenging to manage in the long run. Selling only one or two categories of parts reduces the business’s complexity.
For example, a store specializing in brake pads and alternators will have an easier time sourcing products and understanding customer needs than a store offering all parts.
Own A Store With Fewer Types Of Parts
On one hand, selling fewer types of parts makes running the business simpler because it is easy to research knowledge about those parts and find high-quality suppliers. Additionally, the inventory management system is more efficient when dealing with fewer parts.
Conversely, customers may not be satisfied if their part needs extend beyond what is available at your specialized shop. Further, if you focus on selling only one type of part category, you may miss out on opportunities to broaden your customer base and increase sales by offering additional parts.
What To Sell?
Take your time to consider your commitment. For reference, you can choose from either of the following:
- Sell parts specific to a brand, for example, Toyota, Yamaha, or Mercedes.
- Sell parts specific to a region, such as English and Japanese cars.
- Sell specifically engine parts, for example, timing chain kits, gaskets, and pistons.
- Sell specifically interior parts, for example, seat covers, mats, and gear knobs.
OEM vs. Aftermarket
When selling auto parts, there are two types of their origin. One type is called aftermarket parts, and these are made by different companies than automotive manufacturers. The other type is OEM auto parts, which come from the same company that made the vehicle.
Pros and Cons of OEM Parts
Here are the good things you can expect from selling OEM parts:
- OEM parts are typically more reliable than aftermarket ones since they were made for the car by its manufacturer.
- Selling OEM may provide access to a larger customer base because some customers only want to use original parts on their vehicles.
- Customers who purchase OEM will receive a warranty from the car’s manufacturer, providing peace of mind in case something goes wrong with their purchase.
- Since it is official, installation and servicing instructions can be easily obtained from the manufacturer, which can save time and money when installing or replacing existing components on a vehicle.
- The actual cost of buying OEM may actually be lower than those of inferior quality alternatives due to bulk purchasing options available directly through manufacturers or suppliers.
However, it’s not always good with OEM. Here are the expected drawbacks:
- OEM parts may be more expensive than aftermarket ones, although the actual cost of purchasing in bulk can offset this disadvantage.
- OEMs often come in limited quantities and are not always available when needed, affecting customer delivery times.
- Unless you have a direct connection with the manufacturers or suppliers, it can be challenging to access official part supplies unless you go through third-party dealerships or distributors who add their own markup prices for the product.
- Finding compatible parts that fit perfectly with a particular model or make is not always easy. There will likely be slight variations due to different production batches used by the manufacturer over time which could cause potential problems if the wrong part is purchased and installed incorrectly on a vehicle.
Pros and Cons of Aftermarket Parts
Here are the expected pros of selling aftermarket parts:
- Aftermarket parts are typically less expensive than OEM ones.
- They offer more customization options for vehicle owners and mechanics as they come in various styles, finishes, and brands.
- Installation instructions may be easier to find since aftermarket part suppliers often provide detailed installation manuals with the product.
- There is usually no supply shortage when it comes to aftermarket parts, as most suppliers have a large inventory ready for delivery or pickup.
- Local shops can easily access aftermarket parts at wholesale prices, allowing them to pass on savings directly to customers without inflationary markups.
- Aftermarket parts are usually easier to install than OEM as the instructions for installation, and replacement can be easily obtained from the product supplier.
- Most aftermarket part suppliers offer warranties, ensuring that customers receive a replacement in case something goes wrong with their purchase.
Here are the cons of selling aftermarket parts:
- Aftermarket parts may not always be as reliable as OEM ones.
- Installation instructions may not always be available for aftermarket parts.
- It can be challenging to find compatible parts that fit perfectly with a particular model or make due to slight variations.
- The quality of aftermarket parts can vary greatly depending on the manufacturer and distributor, which could cause potential problems if the wrong part is purchased and installed incorrectly on a vehicle.
- Aftermarket parts may have fewer options when it comes to warranties or guarantees.
- The cost of shipping aftermarket parts can be higher than OEM ones due to the broader variety and sizes of products available.
Finding the Suppliers for Parts
Finding parts to sell can be a pretty hard task. First and foremost, you need to be able to assess the condition of the parts that you are thinking about selling. Here are some sources of part suppliers for your reference:
Junk yards can be a good place to find used parts to sell since they contain junk cars. They have used parts that still work, so you can get them for cheaper prices than buying new ones.
You must be careful when buying car parts from scrap yards, as some may not work. Researching the piece before you buy it and ensuring it is in good condition is vital. While surveying a yard, keep your eyes peeled for any good part.
Dealerships are a great place to get parts. They sell ones made by the car’s manufacturer that fit perfectly and work reliably. These parts usually come with warranties, so you can be sure they will work, and if something goes wrong, you can get a replacement part.
Getting parts from dealerships can be a good option, but there are some risks. The parts may cost more than the ones from other places, and they might not always fit perfectly with the vehicle you have. Also, if something goes wrong with the part, it might not come with a warranty, so you may have to pay for a new one.
Mechanics at Auto Shops
Auto shops are also places where parts can be bought. The parts may cost more than the ones from other places, but they come with a warranty so if something goes wrong, you can get a new part.
Wholesalers are companies that buy parts in bulk and then resell them at a lower price. If you want to sell parts, you can buy them from wholesalers at a discounted rate to save money and then resell them for more money.
Directly from Manufacturers
If you are looking for auto parts made by the car’s manufacturer, then it is best to contact them directly. This will ensure that you get auto parts that fit perfectly and come with a warranty. However, the ones from manufacturers can be more expensive than other sources.
Determine The Quality
After you learn what to sell and where to obtain them, you must see through the auto parts themselves and find out the condition.
Trying to determine whether or not a part is good can be a complex assessment. Follow the steps in the following to get an idea if a part has any flaws:
- Start by giving the part a thorough visual inspection; check for cracks, cosmetic damage, or other visible issues.
- Next, use your knowledge of auto mechanics and carefully move, press, and measure the part – this can help you notice significant problems.
- Lastly, talk to people (or even car enthusiasts) in the industry who specialize in car parts and weigh their opinion on whether the part is worth purchasing or selling.
With these tips in mind, you should have an understanding of the parts’ condition and how you could assess if it is worth selling. This is worth doing since a part in pristine condition will fetch much higher than one with considerable wear and tear.
Developing an understanding of auto parts and their availability through various channels, both online and offline, is certainly essential when it comes to procuring parts for resale purposes.
Developing a thorough understanding of parts and how they work is also essential. Knowing what parts are available and their roles within car engines are critical in selecting appropriate parts to sell.
Moreover, familiarity with manufacturer specifications is vital in ensuring sellers can match the right part with the make and model of the car customers own. With comprehensive knowledge of parts, along with excellent customer service skills, part retailers can often benefit from repeat customers – as well as an increased reputation as a reliable source for parts.
Fitment is one of the most challenging parts of selling auto parts online. When a shopper goes online shopping for parts, the first question that pops to mind is often not the price or the color but whether or not it will fit on the vehicle. Parts not fitting after purchasing is every part shopper’s biggest nightmare.
Fitment issues are common when parts aren’t sourced from the car manufacturer, or are simply too expensive. That’s why people often turn to aftermarket parts. With that said, that doesn’t mean OEM parts will always fit. The room for error will always exist.
Regardless of it’s OEM or aftermarket, you can do the following tips to avoid customers purchasing the wrong product:
- Use fitment tables- parts fitment tables provide detailed information about what car part is compatible with a specific car model and make, allowing sellers to check if their parts are the right ones for shoppers.
- Provide vehicle identification number (VIN) input boxes- by providing shoppers with VIN input boxes; parts sellers can easily find out information about a customer’s car, such as its make, model, or year and whether or not it will be compatible with the seller’s product.
- Clearly list dimensions- clearly listing the dimensions of your products helps customers compare them to their own cars’ measurements before they buy. This also prevents dissatisfying returns in the future due to incorrect sizing of items purchased online that don’t fit properly once delivered onsite.
- Have customer service representatives available- making sure there’s someone who can answer questions related to compatibility and installation prior to purchase helps buyers become more confident when buying something from you online since they are sure that what they are getting is exactly what fits their needs best!
- Offer warranties for all products sold- offering warranties guarantees that any issues related to compatibility or installation will be taken care off.
The best platform to sell auto parts nowadays is the internet. No need for a brick and mortar store (but feel free to build one once you’ve gathered the budget). Amazon and eBay Motors are amazing online platforms ready for you to use.
Selling Auto Parts on Amazon
Car parts that sell well on Amazon include parts for popular car models, older car models, car accessories, and car repair tools. Each part has different demand levels, so it’s important to research when deciding which parts to sell.
People buy these items because they are easy to find on Amazon and often offer good value. Plus, some of the parts come with a warranty so if something goes wrong, you can get a replacement part.
There are also the pros of Selling on Amazon marketplace, which are as follows:
- You can experience increased accessibility for customers from all over the world. Having parts on Amazon makes it easier for people worldwide to find and buy parts. This means more people can buy parts from you, which helps you make more money.
- In addition to that, you can also have the edge over local stores by having items shipped directly from Amazon’s warehouses. This means people don’t have to visit a store in person to buy parts. It makes it easier for them to get parts, which can help you make more money.
Despite all that, you should understand that there are drawbacks, too.
- To sell on Amazon also means spending extra time and money on marketing efforts to stay visible in searches and competition from other sellers.
- Selling parts on Amazon can be tricky because there are many other people with other businesses trying to sell the same thing, too. You have to work hard to make sure people find your parts and compete with other sellers for customers.
- Amazon charges a commission for every part you sell, which means extra cost and less money for you: Since auto parts vary in size and shape, shipping will be tricky. The larger the size of the part, the larger the shipping fee becomes. You can use this calculator to determine the prices involved should you sell on Amazon.
Auto parts that sell well on Amazon are as follows:
- Car repair tools (wrenches, screwdriver, lug nut)
- Discontinued car parts (1980s to 2000s, or older)
- OEM parts
- Performance parts (manufactured to make vehicles faster)
- Replacement car lights and bulbs
Selling Auto Parts on eBay Motors
This popular platform allows them to market parts such as windshield wipers, air filters, shocks, and brakes to car owners all over the world. Besides car-related items, many car accessories like car covers, car audio systems, and car stereos also attract buyers from different countries.
There are many advantages to using eBay. For instance, you can set your pricing, enjoy great visibility and reach people who would not have access to them when other more traditional methods were used and generate more income for yourself.
On the flip side, some issues could be related to relying solely on eBay as a distribution channel. It cannot be easy to interact effectively with potential customers since they cannot actually see the parts they are buying, which can increase return rates.
There is also no highly-personalized service or ability to track customer feedback which may negatively impact your reputation.
People buy these auto parts because they are easy to find on eBay and usually offer good value:
- wheel or tire part
- Floor Mats and Liners
- Audio Speakers & Subwoofers
- Gauges & Compasses
- Fuses & Relays
- Heater Hoses and Cores
- Clutch Kits
- Fuel Tanks
- Hoods, Bonnets, Grilles & Bumpers
- Steering Racks
Similarities between eBay Motors and Amazon
Both eBay Motors and Amazon can be great resources for auto parts, and both sites provide a vast selection of car-related items.
On eBay, sellers usually list parts based on their vehicle make and model, allowing buyers to easily find specific parts that may fit their car. Amazon has a broader search feature for parts, as buyers can look up a part name and select from multiple listings with assorted pricing options.
In some ways, there can also be significant differences in the overall price due to whether or not the seller on either platform is reselling parts or selling them new. Of course, many more factors come into play for both eBay and Amazon – ultimately making them two of the best places to shop for auto parts online (and for selling, too).
How Amazon and eBay Help Vehicle Fitment
Another similarity found in both Amazon and eBay Motors is the section called Product Description if you scroll down on a Product Page. That page is customizable by the seller of the product. To ensure that you have posted all the information regarding fitment (and to make the product description itself look professional), you can use this section to really make sure.
Both Amazon and eBay Motors already provide all kinds of information to fill in regarding the product itself, and they’re very detailed. They cover the sort of product, dimension, weight, country of origin, and more. However, if you need to mention information that doesn’t seem to fit any category, you may use the previously mentioned Product Description.
Differences between eBay Motors and Amazon
When it comes to selling parts, Amazon and eBay Motors have a lot of differences:
- Amazon is primarily a marketplace that sells goods from multiple stores, while eBay Motors specializes in parts.
- Amazon generally lists parts as individual items with detailed descriptions of the piece being sold. On the other hand, eBay provides parts sellers with an easy-to-use platform complete with car make and model filters to quickly pinpoint customers’ desired parts quickly and accurately.
- Amazon allows its sellers to choose the most cost-effective shipping methods, while eBay provides free, fast delivery options for parts.
Set your own website!
Selling auto parts online doesn’t always mean making an account on either Amazon marketplace or eBay Motors, or other ecommerce sites. You can always start your brand & website and begin selling car parts online.
There are many website builders you can use; all are designed to be easy for those who don’t have any experience in coding or anything close. There are many auto shops that also sell auto parts online. It’s only right for you also to sell auto parts online, as well.
Shipping is also an issue because if parts are large and bulky, they can be difficult to package safely and send through the post. Furthermore, many parts require specialized companies to deliver them due to their size or value; shipping fees could become too expensive in such cases.
Here are some tips for shipping parts:
- Use a sturdy box with enough room for the part and packing material.
- Pack the parts securely with bubble wrap to prevent shifting in transit.
- Choose the right shipping service to meet your parts delivery needs.
- Ensure parts are insured and have tracking numbers attached to them in case something goes wrong with the shipment.
- Provide customers with clear information about part shipments, including estimated delivery times and other relevant details.
- Use packaging material that is designed specifically for parts, so they remain secure during transit.
Indeed, it is possible for Amazon users to use FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) to ship parts. FBA helps you package and ship parts safely, so they don’t get damaged in the mail. They will also help you track the part shipments and ensure they arrive on time.
However, should you do the packaging and shipping yourself, then be prepared to look at the details thoroughly twice.
Selling auto parts can be lucrative, but it requires careful consideration and research. You need to make sure you have the right part for your customer’s vehicle, as well as a secure shipping method.
Additionally, understanding car manufacturer specifications is critical to match the appropriate part with the correct model of car customers own. With comprehensive knowledge of parts along with excellent customer service skills, part retailers can often benefit from repeat customers.
Whether you choose Amazon or eBay Motors to sell your parts online, both offer great opportunities to reach more people and increase sales revenue. By following our tips above and keeping fitment issues at bay, you should be able to maximize profits while providing quality products that meet customer needs.
Go sell car parts online now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Where to sell car parts?
When seeking the best place to sell used parts, many car owners or car repair shops turn to online marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay Motors. These two platforms are well-known for their vast selection of car-related items, and both offer part sellers great visibility and accessibility to customers worldwide.
Can you make money selling auto parts?
Yes, auto parts can be a lucrative business. Many car owners or car repair shops sell parts online on marketplaces such as Amazon and eBay Motors to sell used parts. These two platforms are highly popular due to their accessibility and a vast selection of car-related items that are available from all over the world.